Update: We have a new prize to announce! Each winner will receive the ebook SpillyJane Knits Mittens from the always clever indie designer SpillyJane!
The 2020 Mochimochi Photo + Video Contest is now officially open for entries!
This year’s theme: Escape into Mochimochi Land!
We want this summer’s photo contest to be a refreshing departure from the world, and there’s no better way to escape than through stories! Use your knitted friends from Mochimochi Land to tell a story through a series of photos or a video. (We’re using “story” very loosely here—it can just mean that something HAPPENS.) We’re looking for cuteness, humor, creativity, and escapism. Enter through your favorite social media platform (see below for details). Deadline is August 31st!
Winners will receive generous gift cards to some of our favorite small yarn stores (all capable of shipping internationally), plus “goodie bag” packages with lots of surprises.
This contest is open to knitters worldwide who are 18 years or older.* To be eligible, your photo series or video must contain at least one knitted toy made from a Mochimochi Land pattern. This can be a pattern from the Mochimochi Shop, a pattern from one of the Mochimochi books by Anna, or one of the free patterns on the Mochimochi Blog. The pattern may be modified, but not beyond recognition from the original design. (The use of Photoshop is OK, and other toys/characters, including other knitted toys, are welcome to appear in your photos or video too!)
There are 3 categories to enter: Photo Series, Short Video, and Super Short Video.
PHOTO SERIES is a series of 3-10 photos. You could think of this as a short sequence showing unfolding action or emotion, or as a kind of “comic book” format for storytelling, with or without dialog.
SHORT VIDEO is a video that’s at least 20 seconds long, and up to 2 minutes long. It can be puppetry or stop-motion animation. Make a Mochimochi movie! Please avoid making this merely a slideshow of photos.
SUPER SHORT VIDEO is a video or animated GIF that under 20 seconds long. It can be puppetry or stop-motion animation, but no slideshows for super-short videos. Please avoid making this merely slideshow of photos.
Note that we’re looking for humor, cuteness, and originality—not necessarily the most professional-looking photos and videos. We want everyone to enter!
IMPORTANT: We may share/repost any photos or videos entered into the contest on social media, the Mochimochi Land newsletter, or on the Mochimochi Land website, but only with credit and only in relation to promoting the contest (no commercial use).
How to enter
PHOTO SERIES: There are four ways to enter a photo series. Please choose just one platform, and enter up to three series of 3-10 photos in each series.
1) Post your photos on Instagram with the hashtag #mochiphotocontest20. Post the photos together in one post if possible, or title and number each photo in the captions if posting separately.
2) Post your photos to the Mochimochi Land Facebook page with the hashtag #mochiphotocontest20. Post the photos together in one album.
3) Post your photos on Twitter with the hashtag #mochiphotocontest20. Post the photos in a thread in order (preferably numbered), or post separately with a title and number as a caption for each.
4) If you can’t or don’t wish to use social media to enter (understandable if your accounts are private), you can send your photos as an email attachment to email@example.com with the subject PHOTO CONTEST ENTRY.
SHORT VIDEOS (20 seconds to 2 minutes long) and SUPER SHORT VIDEOS (under 20 seconds): Enter up to 3 videos in each category. Here’s how to enter a video.
1) Post your video to Instagram or Facebook with the hashtag #mochiphotocontest20. (Make sure your post is PUBLIC.)
2) Post to GIPHY (if it’s a GIF) or a video site like YouTube or Vimeo. After posting your video, please email a link to the video to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line VIDEO CONTEST ENTRY. Please do NOT send the video as an attachment.
The last day to enter the contest is August 31st, 2020. We’ll announce the finalists shortly thereafter here on the blog.
We’ll pick one top winner in each of the three categories. Each winner will receive a $100 gift card to one of our favorite yarn stores: Gather Here in Cambridge, MA, Knitty City in NYC, or Yarnify in Chicago. The gift cards will be usable online, of course!
Like many local yarn stores right now, these three are working to help their communities while also working hard just to stay in business—and these three are very special to me personally.
Photo credit: David Trudell
Each winner will receive the ebook SpillyJane Knits Mittens from the always clever indie designer SpillyJane!
Needles ready? Cameras set? Take us away to Mochimochi Land!
* “Family” entries involving creative kids are welcome!